W.W. Jacobs and his Monkey's Paw



One of those masters of horror that has not received all the recognition he should is W.W. Jacobs. Born in 1863 this Londoner was not really known for being a horror writer, however, it was a collection of short stories (The lady of the Barge, 1902) that made him popular and one in particular has endured the test of time better than the rest: The Monkey’s Paw. This is the tale that defines psychological horror more accurately than any other. It’s really easy to scare showing scenes of gore, using ominous dark figures or monsters of all sorts, but is it equally easy without any of those things? Jacobs was a master in doing so and his story is the best proof.
 It begins with the Whites and their only son, a young man.One day they receive the visit of one of Mr. White’s old friends, a military man who is in possession of a mysterious artifact. That thing is a monkey’s paw that has the incredible ability to grant three wishes to its owner. It can be used by three different people only and by the time the story begins we meet the second owner who is precisely the man visiting the Whites, Sergeant-Major Morris. After telling the story of the paw the sergeant tries to get rid of it but Mr. White rescues it thus becoming the new and last owner of the paw. When the sergeant leaves Mr. White makes his first wish: to receive money enough to pay the mortgage of his house. Nothing happens. The following day everyone has forgotten about the paw and the wish, but later on a stranger comes to the Whites’ home and tells him their son is dead. This man represents the company where their son worked and has also brought along a small sum as “compensation” for the sad demise that is exactly the amount of money Mr. White had asked to pay for the mortgage of his house. One night several days after burying her son, Mrs. White awakes and remembers the paw, wakes her husband up and forces him to seek the paw and wish again. Mr. White wishes their son returns to them. At first nothing happens but sometime later someone knocks at the door and to Mr. White’s horror his wife goes downstairs to welcome their son. But what is behind the door exactly? The young man had died torn apart by the same machines he operated at work and after all those days surely his body had corrupted and deteriorated even more.  The ending though somewhat anticlimactic is in fact perfect and it shows  that it’s not that what we can see but what we can’t see is by far more terrifying.

Comments

Torres Alvear Odette said…
Honestly, I don't like horror stuff, but I like it suspense. It's weird, but it's what I like, and it's true that when a writer uses dark figures or monstrous characters it attracts the reader more. And the best thing is when he gives you unexpected endings, it's very good this kind of reading.
Ginger Nicole Alvia González said…
Wow, it seems an interesting story. I love horror and it seems great, I'll search the book. This story reminds me one of the episodes of The Simpsons.
Ginger Morán said…
The Monkey's Paw ... psychological horror, gore scenes, sounds like a great story to read ... Too bad it wasn't very popular at the time ... the synopsis is very interesting.
PIN-S-MA 6-1 IAP I
Manuel Erazo said…
This story was remake it but in a horror episode of The Simpsons, I saw that, and I didn't know that it was from WW Jacobs, I consider this is a very interesting information. In addition to it there is one story that seems to be based on this one, in wonderwoman two, but instead of the monkey's paw is an object, but the wishes and the curses that brings with it are the same.
OMG! one more for the shelf. I can't even remember how many books to-read I have but this one surely became one of them now. I'm not really into horror books but this one catches my attention.
Johanna Arteaga said…
I was surprised by this post because I had no idea "The Monkey's Paw" was a story written by W.W. Jacobs. I always thought it was a legend from a foreign country or something. I think I got that idea from an episode of "The Simpsons" where they refer to this story.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Although I don’t like anything that is horror-related, I find this story interesting to those who love terror.
Unfortunately, he hasn’t received the recognition he should.
I found this text very interesting. I don't like this type of horror or suspense story, even though it caught my attention.
Juan Jesús said…
He deserved mor recognition. But this is life and sometimes, talent is not enough.
While reading, a question came to my mind. Why do humans feel fear? Why is fear triggered by certain things? The scientific response is survival. Fear arises with the threat of harm, either physical, emotional, or psychological, real or imagined. Fear keeps us safe as it mobilizes us to cope with potential danger. Even when "coping with it" means "running away". Now, psychological horror? That's way beyond our understanding. Naturally, fear is triggered in our brains by the unknown. That explains why most of us don't feel comfortable in the darkness. I imagine this W.W.Jacobs' book resembles "psychological darkness". As you mentioned, we fear more what we can't see.
Evelin Arellano said…
Personally, I have not read much about these kind of things, this story was really interesting, I liked it.
I'm not a fan of these kind of readings but this one in particular is very interesting.
It called my attention.
The last part of the story is very real, because it is not about what you see but what you cannot see.
Mendoza Párraga Martha said…
The horror is one of my favorite literary genres but I have not had the opportunity to read your book, I have only watch the reference that appears in the Simpsons.
Samuel Macías said…
Honestly, the "creppypasta" or horror stories are entertaining and when I read this I imagined that the dead man was here, it is interesting how a good writer can be forgotten by not being on the standard of cinema or society. what we do not see produces more fear.
I love horror stories and suspense. It seems like a perfect story to read alone at home, at night, and before going to sleep.
It may sound a bit cliché, but it's actually really nice to enjoy reading when it's windy and raining a lot.
The story plot was so exciting and catchy that I may be reading it all in the near future.
YES! This story is so well-known that even the Simpsons have made an episode about it.
Briggitte Vera said…
I have never heard about he and his books, but it's sound interesting. However, I prefer to read fantasy and romance books.
Unknown said…
Hey! This reminds me one of The Simpson's episode of Halloween. But,now I wanna read the book.
Ericka Zambrano said…
I am a coward and I don't like that kind of stories, I hate them. So much so, I just have seen one horror movie in my entire life.

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?