How do you say PORQUE ME DA LA GANA in English


The expression PORQUE ME DA LA GANA sounds insolent in Spanish and also in English,  however, the intensity is not the same.
Perhaps it is a cultural thing but I have never heard a native speaker saying angrily: BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT!   
Let's imagine this situation: a parent is lecturing his or her child about his or her recent misbehavior. At some point the frustrated parent asks:
"¿Por qué haces eso?" (Why do you do something like that?)  
"¡Porque me da la gana!" (Because I feel like it!)
Perhaps in a more realistic reaction an English-speaking child  would say: "I don't know, Ok? I just do it."  or "It's none of your business!" 
I may as well be wrong but if I am not then this is yet another proof that the cultural component is also key in the learning process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?