Conversations with my Students (7)

My class is made up by many different types of people. 
Some of my students, like C, are extremely polite and considerate and for example they would never leave the room without letting me know first where they are going. 
That helps me a lot because all my students are my responsibility despite the fact they are all middle teens and are therefore quite capable to look after themselves. 
Others such as E are a big interrogation mark. They are quite unpredictable sometimes so the best thing to do if you have their type in your class is to keep them busy at all times or else…well things happen.
C: Teacher…
T: Yes?
C: I need to go to the restroom.
T: I was about to announce something important, C.
C: Mister, it’s really urgent.
T: Surely, you’re exaggerating.
C: No, it´s for real. I need to pee…
T: All right C, if you have to go you have to go.
Before I could finish C had already left.
E: Excuse me mister…eh, teacher.
T: Yes, E. What do you want?
E: Do we have to tell you what we are going to do when we go to the bathroom?
T: No, E of course not, it is a personal thing and definitely I don’t want to know those details, but C chose to tell me.
E: Oh, Okay. Sorry, teacher.
T: Well, class. Since the topic came out, please, if in the future you decide to tell me what you’re going to do, well… you don’t have to, but in any case if you’re going to, then refer to urinate as “Number one” and the… erm… other thing is “Number two”. OK?
At this time everyone was laughing at my indication, but still E had something to say.
E: Eh, excuse me mister, eh… teacher.
T: What is it now, E?
E: I was wondering, what if we don’t have to go to the W.C. for Number one or for Number two only?
T: What do you mean?
E: I mean, what if it’s both at the same time? Should we say like: “Hey, Mister. I’m going to the restroom... It’s urgent: I have a COMBO coming out!” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?