How do you say PUNTO SUSPENSIVO in English?

I have heard all sorts of hypotheses from my EFL students about how to say PUNTO SUSPENSIVO in English. Some are funny and some are serious attempts to find logic behind the expression so as to come up with a suitable replacement.
The word is ELLIPSIS and is used to represent an omission, something that is ultimately never said or expressed in words. The cause of this omission varies. Sometimes it is something that can be easily guessed by the context of the situation, sometimes it only reflects hesitation.
I saw her standing only some feet away from me ... I couldn't say a word.
She was happy to see me  ... I guess.

In any case it is a punctuation mark that is more often used in Spanish than in English since English has an extra punctuation mark called Dash often used as an alternative for ELLIPSIS.

We go out of the school   — we go to her house.

The plural of ELLIPSIS is Ellipses.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?