The Red Shoes: Some Fairy Tales are Creepy



Were fairy tales created to entertain children or to frighten them? Perhaps it depends on which fairy tales we are referring to. Some are “harmless”, so to speak, such as Pinocchio written by Carlo Collodi. But there are others like those written by the Grimm brothers by Andersen the intention of which is a bit suspicious. The Red Shoes by Andersen for example tell the story of a vain stepdaughter who is so proud of her red shoes she even wears them to church gaining apparently divine disapproval. At a party she begins dancing and cannot stop. An angel then appears to her revealing her shoes are now cursed and 
won´t ever stop not even after she dies (creepy!) to serve as an example to other children.  She keeps dancing for days until she finds an executioner who taking pity on her chops her feet off, and the shoes still with her feet inside kept dancing around. The executioner replaces her feet with wooden part. Repented the girl attempts to go back to church, but  can´t because the  shoes keep appearing in front of her dancing non-stop and terrifying her. Just visualize that scene with shoes dancing with her the girl´s feet still inside. The girl returns home and there in despair she prays for forgiveness. The angel appeared again and the girl dies, finally finding peace and forgiveness with her soul going to Heaven afterwards.
There is a reason why Disney has never used this story, though movies have been made and least one is in the horror genre (2005 Korean film).  If only for The Red Shoes, I believe the answer to my question should be: they were meant to frighten. The idea, apparently, was to control children who had at the time these stories were written a lot of more time and much more freedom so the parents of that time had to look for ways to control their children; hence the reason for these stories to be as weird as they are.  Now The Red Shoes was not the only story written by Andersen or the Grimm brothers: there were several others from where The Red Shoes came from.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Comments

Manuel Erazo said…
I've never read or heard about that creepy story, but to be honest I don't agree with those parents who try to control their children with lies or scary stories, they should explain them everything, in order to make them understand the difference between good and bad things.
Ginger Nicole Alvia González said…
I love creepy stories. When I read about that, I told myself to look for the story. Children need to know and to learn about everything, and to have the opportunity to read several kind of story genres.
I already knew about this fairy tale. Personally, as a child I liked stories related to horror and mystery. Cool!
I don't like creepy stories, but it is good to have knowledge about them. In this case, I have never heard this story. However, I do not recommend reading these stories to people who are very fearful.
Personally, I’m not attracted to creepy stories.
I’ve never heard about about this one, but I’m pretty sure I won’t read it unless it’s an assignment. However, I respect those who have the guts to read this kind of stories.
Mendoza Párraga Martha said…
I had never heard this story before but I'm going to read it because I like horror stories.
Unknown said…
CYNTHIA RIZZO PAGUAY
I have heard that some Fairy tales for children hide something. It can be something dark or love and I admit that the fairy tale of The red shoes is like a horror movie and I think it shouldn't be read to children because that can be traumatic for them.
Unknown said…
CYNTHIA RIZZO PAGUAY
It's incredible the variety of words that I find on this webside. I liked knowing the meaning of this word but in the English language because I will be a Bachelorette.😁
I never heard about this particular story,but I read some original tales such as 'The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, The beauty and the Beast, The Sleeping Beauty' and so many others that are different from what Disney picture.
Briggitte Vera said…
I didn't know about this story but I've read some Grimms' Fairy Tales. I know that these tales could be creepy and If a were a child, I wouldn't want to read them!
Unknown said…
Dave Criollo
I had never heard about this tale, But I have read some Grimm Brother's tales, their tales was creepy and fascinating because them talk about real versions of the Disney's princess movies such as Cinderella, the Snow White and Rapunzel.
I've really never heard of this tale. Even for me, they were created to frighten the kids. But you trigger my curiosity so I'm going to read more Andersen tales.
Samuel Macías said…
It is very interesting to talk about the Brothers Grimm because they were psychologists and many of the stories we saw in Disney are not the real version written by them. In Disney all the endings are happy but the real stories don't always have a happy ending sometimes the ending is terrifying.
I think every tale ir story has message and some a subliminal message, for there parents must pay attetion what children are watching and always explain them the reality because not all in real life is like a tale.
Katherine Cabezas said…
I remember watching a movie as a little girl about a ballerina and the story was similar. In the end, a man just took off her sandals and I think he threw them into the sea. The fact is that I didn't even watch everything because it gave me anxiety and a bit of fear. I believe that, although these movies don't have the original and horror story, they do convey a strange and scary feeling to children.
Evelin Arellano said…
It was something creepy!
I think that these kind of stories are made because writer wants to catch the attention of people. I have never listened about this, but this story remembered me when I was a little girl, my parents used to tells us stories that had happened a long time ago, at that time those stories were really horribles.
Blanca Landivar said…
How interesting to know! I had never gone to stories like this! I think that long ago parents used the fear and horror of these stories to control their children, and that is something that I do not agree with! Thank you very much for the information.
The girl in the red shoes demonstrates how a little taste can turn into an obsession that could be severely punished and only forgiven with death. This is definitely frightening and sad to imagine.
The truth is that the story is disturbing for a child to read. In my opinion, there exist many more ways to teach children than to use terror as a resource.
Mayrene Pin said…
This story is really creepy, I was scared when I read this. To be honest, I am not in favor of urging a child with fear, since that leads to psychological disorders. Well, I don't think there is something wrong with red shoes, red can have different meanings, however over time that fear gives it that creepy value anything.

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?