Conversations with my Students (9)


Well, this happened while introducing  the topic of Art, in  particular that from other cultures. A Mandala is a special piece of art made of sand which also has a spiritual meaning. It is not well -known in Ecuador so I was surprised when one of my students, E, claimed he knew what it was.

T: OK class, today we're talking about a very unusual form of art called Mandala...
E: Excuse me, teacher? Mandala?
T: Yes, E, Mandala. 
E: Mister, I know about that.
T: About what? A Mandala?
E: Yes. I read an entire article.
T: Really? So, I suppose you can tell us about it.
E: Sure, mister. I can.
T: Then go ahead, E. 
E: All right, mister. Well, Mandala is from Africa.
T: Wait, don't you mean Mandalas are from Africa?
E: No, mister. Está bien. Mandala was even president of that country Sudáfrica...South Africa.
T: Wait, you're talking about Nelson...
E: Nelson Mandala, mister.
T: It´s Mandela not Mandala.
E: Mandela, Mandala... it's the same, mister...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?