See, Look At, Watch

I see you...wait...I'm looking at you...uh, darn!

Though with a similar meaning they are not the same.
When you SEE something you are not really making any effort. In other words, SEEING is an action that can take place incidentally, there is not an implied intention to it or you are not really paying attention to the object in question.
e.g. Yesterday, on my way home, I SAW a car accident. (I obviously did not intend to see something like that. It just happened.)

LOOKING is different. When you LOOK AT something you are paying attention to an object, you are doing because you intend to.
e.g. From time to time, my Dad comes out and LOOKS AT the kids playing to make sure they're all right. (My Dad is overprotective so he makes a decision to come out and see the kids are fine.)

When WATCHING you obviously decide to see something, as when you LOOK AT, but also you pay much more attention to the object which besides is usually one in motion such as a film or a TV show.
e.g. I came out at night just to WATCH the sky at night and the stars blinking in the distance. (Though we know the stars are moving apparently they are not and yet I'm WATCHING because I'm LOOKING intensely  AT them.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?