How do you say TIO ABUELO in English?

Right...one of us is your Great-uncle!

It should be GRANDUNCLE or GRANDAUNT since Grand is used for Grandfather and Grand mother (that is if we are also looking for the translation of TIA ABUELA) but no. Though both terms GRANDUNCLE and GRANDAUNT, either presented in one word or hyphenated (GRAND-UNCLE and GRAND-AUNT),  are perfectly acceptable in English they are not common.
The common way to refer to one of our grandparents' brother or sister is GREAT UNCLE and GREAT AUNT which can also be hyphenated.
Why do people prefer to say GREAT UNCLE? They say the term GRANDUNCLE can be confusing and here it is why: my father's father is my grandfather so then my uncle's father is my granduncle, but no that would be my father. I hope that clarifies why the prefix GREAT is it referred in this context.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?