Mistakes, Errors and Slips

They all mean the same with certain essential differences. 
When we make a MISTAKE that indicates that we had some previous knowledge of the context where and when we are making such mistake. There are several reasons that may lead us to make mistakes: forgetfulness, distractions, being careless, sadness, and others. Even the fact that we are humans can be listed because making mistakes is part of our human condition. So if I say: I have understand perfectly, that is a mistake if I have been explained the Present Perfect tense in a previous occasion. In other words, I knew how to use it but I did it wrong anyway perhaps due to any of the causes mentioned before with lack of concentration being the most likely reason.
What if I was never explained how to use the Present Perfect before or at least not properly? Then that is not a mistake but an ERROR. I did not know how to use the verb understand in  the correct form so I chose my intuition only and I got it wrong.
A SLIP is only an involuntary, and usually minor, lapse. It can happen to anyone whether it is a native speaker or not. The expression SLIP OF THE TONGUE comes from that circumstance as it just happens even if you are focused on what you are saying or writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?