The Subjunctive form: Let There Be Light

Out of the four basic forms of the verb in English the simplest is the Base form which is similar to the Infinitive form but without the particle TO. For example:   
To Eat (Infinitive)  -  Eat (Base)
The Base form has two primary functions:
The first is to serve as to give orders, e.g. : Listen to me! or Stay where you are!
The second is to serve as the Subjunctive form. The easy part here is forming the Subjunctive and the hard part is to know how to use the Subjunctive properly.
Use the Subjunctive after these verbs: to request, to suggest, to urge, to ask, to command, to demand, to desire, to insist, to propose, to recommend and a couple of others. Here are some examples:
The teacher advised Mark study harder in the future.
Bertha recommended John sleep long hours.
My Dad propose my Mom spend less money.
Expressions such as It is important, It is essential, and It is necessary are also followed by the Subjunctive., e.g.:
It is mandatory that she pay her fees immediately.
It is a bad idea that he return as soon as possible.
It is recommended that he be patient.
The expression which is the title of this article is another example of Subjunctive and shows how old this form really is.

Comments

Ginger Nicole Alvia González said…
wow, then there are phrases or expressions that we do not use to. That's interesting, I did not know about that and it is great to learn it.
Mendoza Párraga Martha said…
I think it is a very interesting article, this was new to me.
Manuel Erazo said…
This is a new brand information for me, I'm thankful for it.
I had to read it twice and do a little research to understand it. I didn't know about the subjunctive form in English. I mean, I've used it but it seems I've been doing it mindlessly. Now that I reviewed its use in Spanish, remembered that it has a very similar, almost identical usage in French. And this previous knowledge has helped me bear it better in English. Thanks for this piece of valuable information! I
Honestly, I didn't know about the subjunctive form or the other expressions that require its use. Thanks to this instructive post, I've realized I've been using it improperly. However, I'll definitely try to be more cautious from now on, so that I don't make the same mistakes over and over again.
Evelin Arellano said…
I really appreciate knowing this. I had a lot of problems with this topic because I honestly didn't know how to differentiate the base form to the infinitive form, but with this explanation I know. It's satisfying to learn day after day, I'm grateful.
I really did not know this conjugation, it is good to learn something new every day, I am going to start using them!
Samuel Macías said…
It is very important information and I knew that there are these changes but not the reason why this conjugation happens there is a saying that says that every day we discover our ignorance.
New information that will surely serve my future. To be honest, I didn’t know about this information.
Very accurate and effective!
Thank you for clear out my mind about this subject. Now I can understand it more easily!
Juan Jesús said…
It is a great information for me and for teaching others. I got it quickly.
Briggitte Vera said…
Now, I have a new grammar point to learn. It's a great and useful information.Thank you, Mr. Bermúdez
Johanna Arteaga said…
I didn't know that, I'll try to use it in the future. Thank you for the information.
Unknown said…
I didn't know that. Sometimes I have problems with some tense for example, I usually put the adverb "to" when it's not necessary.
It's new information for me, I haven't thought about this too much even when I actually use it. Nice
Ericka Zambrano said…
A new topic to add to our knowledge list which is very useful for all of us.

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?