Conversations with my Students (3)

Usually after we read in class a short article I ask my students what they think about it. After the customary embarrasing silence F, a boy, is the one who normally answers. After him S, another boy, has something to say as well. Their class is mostly made up by girls who surprisingly prefer to leave the boys the chances to show off. A and M are two of those girls. They all have a good command of English and can easily engage in a conversation if this one doesn't get too technical at some point. I´m aware of that and that is why we talk about topics more connected with every day life than anything else. However, if I am not careful enough the results can be as unexpected as in the dialog below.

T: So class, what do you think about the article we just read?
F: It says Love can be a problem if it interferes with your studies!
T: Well, yes and no. What the author really means is...
F: But it can be a problem if your girlfriend wants to be with you all the time.
T: That's why is good that you both agree and decide what is convenient for both.
S: But what if you fall in love with a possessive person and that person doesn't want to understand.
T: It's obviously a problem. What you should do...
A: Did you have that problem, mister?
T: Well no, none of my girlfriends was a possessive person.
A: No, lo que quiero decir es if you were possessive.
T.Well, not really. Listen I was careful, I tried to choose my girlfriends carefully.
S: Why?
T: I didn´t want to have any trouble. I wanted to be in control, I was like that then.
F: That's your advice for us, mister? To be in control?
T: Uh, I never said that. Look F just look for someone nice, don't get too complicate about it.
A: That sounds good.
T: Sure, I knew you would agree with me.
A: What do you mean?
T: Eh, well you have a boyfriend and...
A: What? I don't have boyfriend!
T: A boyfriend,not just boyfriend, A. And I recall seeing you at that new shopping center in good company. That was not so long ago.
A: Oh, ya recuerdo. He is not my boyfriend anymore. That was three men ago.
T: What?
A: ¿Qué? ¿Qué dije?
M: Bruta, dijiste three men, o sea tres hombres.
A: ¡Mentira! Uy, mister perdóneme. I wanted to say three MONTHS ago, not three men ago.
T: Sure A, sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?