Conversations with My Students (5)

Two things need to be explained in order to understand the following dialog. First, students who are about to finish high school in Ecuador do sometimes internship in companies selected by the schools as a requirement to graduate. Second, the B and V consonants are pronounced with the same sound by most Latin Americans so basically there is no distinction and as a result that can create unexpected word games that are usually lost in translation. 
One day at the end of class...

L: Mister...
T: Yes, L. What do you need?
L: Do you remember I am an entern in a company now?
T: Entern? Do you mean Intern?
L: Yes, that. Well, I was doing some paper work when then my boss called me...
T: Your boss?
L: Yes, my boss. He called me to his office so I come in afraid it is something serious and then my boss tells me: "What if I kissed you?"
T: What?
L: So, at first I did not know what to say, but then I responded: "I would hit you!", and he says like: "But why? If Sarah sees you, there's nothing wrong with that..." and he laughed at me. I was so embarrased!
So I looked at L and she looks back at me.
T: But L. I don't get it. He wanted to kiss you and there was another person called Sarah?
L: Uh, no. Forget it, mister.
T: No L, you'll explain this to me.
L: Mister, but I'll have to use Spanish...
T: Fine, use Spanish.
L: Es que él me dijo: "¿Qué tal si te besara?" (What if I kissed you?) but he was joking and according to him he was saying: "¿Qué tal si te ve Sara?" What if Sarah sees you?) ¿Comprende ahora?
T: Yes, L, yes. It is crystal clear, now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

How do you say MIRADOR in English?

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?