Super Friends: A Simple Truth

When I was a little kid both my parents worked the whole day which meant that my sister and I were looked after a babysitter, but really she did not do such a good job. Since we used to live in an apartment, getting out was no easy task, so most of the time we spent the afternoon just watching TV. Was it a fruitless activity? Perhaps, but when I weigh my past life and remember all the time I was in front of a TV I realize there were things that I learned that I could not have acquired from any other source. 
One of those sources was none other that this cartoon show: The Super Friends that united the greatest comic book heroes to face their enemies on a regular basis. Usually the good guys had the upper hand, but then in one episode called The Monolith of Evil the Legion of Doom (that's the bad guys' group) stumbles upon a most  unexpected discovery, an object so powerful it could grant any wish. The Justice League (the Super Friends) can do nothing against the onslaught of the evildoers, and not even Superman can withstand this new evil power. The Earth son falls into a new ice age and the armies of the world are rendered useless.
Knowing that this could be their final hour the heroes gather together in the Hall of Justice and there they try to find a solution to this menace, but the monolith seems flawless and its evil too overwhelming to be controlled. And that's the problem. The heroes seemed to have become too biased and, just like the villains, assumed that the monolith was a force for evil just because it was controlled by evil masters. Their computer that had apparently some degree of self-awareness intervenes and reveals that the monolith is not evil but only a machine to to be used for nasty purposes. The heroes then decide to seek a way to control the monolith and revert the damage caused by the monolith's power and it is one of them the only one who can do that without even raising a finger.
Beyond the superheroes obvious dumbness at being unable to discover the solution without the help of their supercomputer, there was the realization I just had made then. It was a simple example but that was enough for me to understand that no instrument or machine in spite of the pervert purpose for which it was created is really evil or good. It only is.
Then I understoood something that had been unclear to me till then, that there is no good or evil, love or hate, friendship or enmity; all those are concepts that we , human beings, have created in order to best deal with the world that surrounds us. So no weapon, despite its power to kill, can be considered really evil or good. Its creators are. We are not pawns in a cosmogonic game played by silly and capricious imaginary beings because truly all that is make believe. And we are nobody's puppets or rulers. We are just who we are and whatever good or evil that comes upon us is ours only. We create it and we can change it.
Don't take me wrong: I loved my parents and I enjoyed going to school but neither my teachers nor my parents could have made me see this simple truth the way that cartoon did.
Life is full of those little ironies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?