Conversations with my Students (4)

Once the bell rings I collect my things to proceed to another classroom and another class. One day, D interrupts me to let me know about something.
D: Mister...
T: What? I'm leaving D, can we talk some other time?
D: Mister, venga vea.
T: In English, D, in English.
D: Come and see this, mister.
T: All right, what is it?
D (smiling as though she were a malicious child): Here, where R is.
T: R? What did he do this ti...? (I stop when I see R profoundly asleep. Somehow R has managed to spend the whole class asleep without me noticing) Oh no, not again. Somebody wake him up, please.
There are other kids around us who are there to have fun with the situation. One pushes R briefly but firmly. R opens his eyes to see me standing in front of him. He emits a gasp and stands up all of a sudden.
R: ¡Uy, mister! No vaya a pensar mal.
T. Easy R and talk to me in English please.
R: In English? Yes, yeah...eh...mister, what book are we going to use? the Grammar or the Literature? And...and...I have the homework, justo aquí. Se lo prometo que I have everything. Eh, eh...
T: That's all nice, R, but I won't receive any of that right now.
R: But why? No, mister. ¡Yo hice todo!
T:  I believe you, but still I can't.
R: ¿Pero por qué?
T: It's simple R. Class is over: the bell rang five minutes ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are LAS TRES MARÍAS called in English?

The Maps of Ship-Trap Island

How do you say NACIMIENTO NAVIDEÑO in English?